Beijing Design Forum – renovating old buildings

Beijing in the evening light

Kohler Design Forum Beijing GroupDuring the Beijing Design week in the end of September 2017, we held the Beijing Design Forum with our media partner Elle Decoration China. At the Sanlitun CHAO, a 180-room hotel on 15,000 square meters that is completely run as a members-only clubhouse and also includes a 3,000 square meter art center and 40 serviced apartments, we welcomed our guests from the design community for an interesting and animated afternoon.CHAO Sanlitun Beijing
The Beijing Design Week promotes the city as creative design hub and showcases industries as well as innovation and developments.Beijing Design Week banner
Under the theme “Exquisite Revolution in Design” the famous and world-class speakers looked at alternative ways of reconstruction and integration of modern design in the restoration of old and historic buildings.CHAO hotel inside Beijing
The three top designers Leonard Lee, Ed Ng, Ricky Wong, and Maurice Li who are all working in different fields of design shared their insights with the guests who were also mostly design professionals.Beijing Kohler Design Forum 2017
They spoke about design innovations, heritage processes and integration of hotels into old buildings. While many new hotels are built, hoteliers often opt to renovate old spaces instead of rebuilding a structure completely. The respect and the resonance for this approach are priceless in terms of customer experience and cultural heritage.
Beijing in the fogRecently Ed Ng and his business partner Terence Ngan blogged about the fact that 90% of the historic buildings in Hong Kong were torn down to make room of modern skyscrapers. Of these old, iconic structures only photos exist. Finally, there are efforts to save the remaining 10% of old buildings that are still standing. They pointed out that preserving them is a challenge as the original heritage should be respected while combining it with the latest design standards and styles.Kohler Exquisite suite at Beijing Design Week
Not only in Hong Kong but also in mainland China there is a new focus on the restoration of historic buildings within the urban planners, designers and even the public communities. A lot of emotional resonance lies within these buildings and Ed Ng and his fellow presenters at the Design Form believe that it is well worth preserving the buildings for future generations. The trend is a renewed respect for the intricacies of historic designs and original works of construction. Instead of blindly tearing down old buildings there is a new consciousness for preserving the past.Kohler Design Forum Beijing speaker
The presentations and the panel discussion was well received by the audience.
Chao Sanlitun Beijing hotel facadeCHAO is space that helps express artistic views where traditional Chinese folding fans, wooden doors, rivets and other traditional elements intermingle new designs.Chao Sanlitun Hotel Beijing facade
ELLE DECORATION is the industry-leading magazine for the design world. 25 editions all over the world lead the conversations on trends, inspirations, styles, and fads. The publication is a go-to magazine for lifestyle enthusiasts, designers, architects and people from the industry.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.